Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Every clay cloud has a silver lining...


Or sometimes the clay is embedded with silver. This is my first attempt at working with Precious Metal Clay. It starts out with a small ball of clay and can be molded or shaped just like any other clay. It is dried out a bit and then either fired with a torch or in a kiln and the clay burns off leaving pure silver. After firing it can be sanded and buffed some to bring out the shine of the silver.

The Maker Faire was here in town a few weeks ago and one of the exhibits was a school that teaches jewelry making. They were giving mini classes so it was a great opportunity to work with PMC for the first time. I have lots of supplies to do my own thing but sometimes a new material or technique is intimidating for me. This gave me a little taste of what working with PMC is like. It was a great introduction. I'm looking forward to making some more things on my own.

No comments: